Before receiving any payment for any auto accident settlement, you should consult with an auto accident attorney you must ensure that all repairs and medical treatment is done. You should negotiate with an insurance adjuster, who has to assess the damage from the accident and you must understand how those settlements are calculated to get the best payment possible.
Before going for a settlement you must collect the following:
- You should assess the extent of injuries, you have received. It is better to consult a personal injury lawyer, who offers free consultation. Collect the total medical bills.
- Estimate the current value of the car. You can also include the expenses incurred for using the modes of transport, as due to the accident you could not use your own car.
- Gather all the medical expense documents, also of the family members, if any of them have undergone any treatment due to the accident.
- Negotiate for the pain and suffering settlement with the insurance adjuster. Generally it is in between 150 to 300 percent of the base cost.
- If you missed work because of the injuries, calculate the sum of the lost income. You should also add the cost, if you will be missing more work due to on-going treatment.
The more serious, long lasting and painful the injuries, the higher are the settlement amount. It is calculated taking the age of the victim, his income, the nature of the injuries etc. in to consideration. If you fall under the high income group and you are quite young, naturally the settlement amount becomes higher. Suppose in case of a death, the victim is around 30 and is the only earning member of the family and falls under the high income group, his settlement amount will be decided accordingly.
There is not an exact formula to determine how much money you will get after an accident law suit, because each case is different. The cost of the medical bills, vehicle repair etc. is decided based on the documentary evidence. The court decides the cost of the pain, suffering and your work loss for those sufferings. That is why it is better to hire an experienced car accident lawyer.
Another factor the court takes into account is, whether you are at fault for the accident or not. If you are not in fault at all, your settlement amount will be high.
To sum up, determine your accident settlement value by adding together the medical bills, income lost from not being able to work, the cost for your pain and sufferings and the bills for repairing your vehicle and all other associated expenditure like car rental etc.